Sometimes the best discoveries happen by accident. In this case, I intended to make Margarita Popsicles for Cinco de Mayo. I was a little worried that they wouldn’t freeze thoroughly because of the amount of alcohol, and sure enough I was right. But what I did discover, however, is that no matter how long you put this mixture in the freezer for, it won’t freeze completely solid. It freezes just to the perfect granita consistency, and has all the kick of a real margarita. I will attempt margarita popsicles again this summer, but we certainly enjoyed these in the meantime!
Recipe: Margarita Granita
Summary: A frozen margarita treat for Cinco de Mayo
- 1 cup tequila (I recommend a ‘silver’ or clear tequila for this- 100% agave, of course)
- 1/2 cup cointreau or triple sec
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- Add all ingredients to a large pitcher and stir to combine.
- Pour equal servings into 4-6 ramekins or small freezer-proof bowls
- Freeze for 6-8 hours or until set
- Enjoy responsibly!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Bonus pics from our recent Mexico trip: