Don’t you just hate it when you get home from the grocery store with everything you need to make the meal you want to prepare? Apparently I do- I swear I have forgotten one very important ingredient the last ten times I have been to the store. Today, for my planned salsa verde, I forgot the serrano chiles (d’oh!). I improvised by adding a bunch of cayenne pepper (notice the not-so-verde color) which turned out pretty good, but I’d definitely suggest using serranos (or jalapenos if you’re not so keen on heat) if you can manage to remember to buy them.
Recipe: Chicken Tacos with Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- Avocado Tomatillo salsa, recipe follows
- Heat oven to 475 degrees F
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt
- In a large dutch oven or deep cast iron skillet with lid, heat the grapeseed oil over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, sear the chicken skin-side down for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Turn and brown the other side 1-2 minutes.
- Cover the pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat the tortillas in a nonstick pan over high heat until just starting to brown.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and assemble tacos with chicken and salsa
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe: Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
- 2 cups coarsely chopped rinsed husked tomatillos
- 2 medium anaheim peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium serrano chiles with seeds, coarsely chopped
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the tomatillos, anaheim peppers and serranos into the bowl of a food processor.
- Puree until smooth.
- Pour puree into a medium bowl and mix in all remaining ingredients.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8